Re: Napster Business Model

Author:Wesley Felter
Posted:6/28/2000; 10:12:53 PM
Topic:Napster Business Model

it would make possible a "once and for all" cracker of whatever particular system "the industry" had decided was "the answer."

Maybe I'm just not seeing it. Distributed brute-force crypto cracking as it exists today takes months to crack one message; all the computing power in the world couldn't produce a "once and for all" crack for Twofish or RSA because it isn't something that can be done algorithmically.

OTOH, it is possible to make "once and for all" cracks for copy protection systems, but these would most likely be in the form of patches to program binaries, which (to my knowledge) can only be generated by a human stepping through the program until his eyes are blurry.