Re: Fractals Everywhere

Author:Sean Lindsay
Posted:7/7/2000; 7:25:34 PM
Topic:Fractals Everywhere

I remember the issue of fractal image compression being a hot topic a couple of years ago, as at least one company actually brought a file format (.FIF) to market.

Unfortunately the company in question, Iterated Systems, kept the format closed, demanding a royalty for any software implementations. As a result, the format died. Iterated's website no longer even mentions the format.

Alatmira maintains the format as a plugin for Photoshop, but that's the only current implementation I could find.

This 1997 page has a good introductory article to the use of fractal image compression, with some examples of the results: http://www.rasip.fer.hr/research/compress/algorithms/adv/fraccomp/