Re: fallacies

Author:Dennis Peterson

That's not a bad model, and would probably get some users...but suppose I want to copy songs onto a portable device? Do I have to upload records of my time listening? You run into various difficulties like this, because you're still looking at an enforcement model, instead of a voluntary contribution model. In a world where copying bits is so easy, you might as well go with a purely voluntary model, because the music will be available for free anyway.

Besides, there's some music I listen to a lot, because it's pleasant background noise while I work. But I don't care about it much, it's not important what music it is, it's just a tool to keep me focused on other things. Other music has meaning and emotional power for me, but I don't listen to it nearly as much, because it takes attention, and I don't want to get tired of it. It's more important to me that the second group of artists gets supported, than the first.