Why do artists have to keep uploading the same MP3s?

Author:Mark J. Gardner

...people don't want to go to a bunch of different websites to find the music they want. They want to get it from one place, and that's been Napster's success.

I think you've hit a key benefit of Napster right there, but since the question is about the artists, I'd like to point out that there's no Napster-like product for musicians to provide their songs to people, unless they have an always-on broadband connection and leave Napster running all the time. All the sites that offer to distribute MP3s want the artists to upload yet another copy of the song, fill out another laborious form with the same information (title, genre, CD name, blah blah blah), and then put up whatever other info it takes to get noticed (band picture, influences, gig calendar, etc.).

If any software/service provider wants to enable a mass influx of artists to get their music direct to the listeners by cutting out middlemen, please also cut out all these redundant steps. There's software that acts on behalf of webmasters to submit sites to dozens of search engines -- where's the program that will do the same for my music?