Re: Why MacOS X Server?

Author:Paul Snively

Jonathan Hendry: I got the impression that AOLServer is highly Oracle-oriented, though that may have changed. Apache, on the other hand, seems to play with most anything.

I think this is the downside to AOLServer getting most of its publicity from Philip Greenspun, who, for very good reasons, uses Oracle for all his sites. Nevertheless, <http://www.aolserver.com/dist/> offers drivers for Postgres, Solid, MySQL, Interbase, Oracle, and Informix databases. A nice mix of the big commercial offerings (only Sybase seems to be missing, as far as I can tell) and the free/open source offerings.

Also, the database drivers aren't any more magical than any other C-based module: if you want Sybase/MS SQL Server support, you could probably start with FreeTDS and the AOLServer programmer's docs and knock yourself out.