Have you looked at Xaudio?

Author:Ben Edwards
Posted:7/26/2000; 8:53:31 AM
Topic:Radio Userland xplatform?

I am just embarking on a very similar project to Radio Userland using Zope on Linux for the front end and Xaudio - http://www.xaudio.com - as the player. Xaudio is cross platform (Windows, Mac, various unix) and they distribute a SDK with a free licence even for commercial use.

They claim to be "the fastest commercial MP3 decoding library in the world, up to twice or three times faster than some other implementations", which I haven't been able to test yet, but the API seems excellent on first look.