Re: Voluntary payments easier to implement

Author:Dennis Peterson
Posted:8/3/2000; 9:18:14 PM
Topic:Needlepoint Copying

One reason that true digital cash hasn't taken off is the difficulty of fraud protection. If I buy with a credit card, I can stop payment if I don't get the merchandise. But if I already have the pattern (song, Stephen King chapter...) and I'm just contributing after the fact, I don't have to worry about that.

Since there's a chicken-and-egg problem with getting digital cash deployed, maybe voluntary payments will be the killer app that really kicks it off.