Re: Review of Nautilus 0.1

Author:Nick Sweeney
Posted:8/17/2000; 3:01:15 AM
Topic:Review of Nautilus 0.1

If you have the Mozilla and Helix RPMs installed already (or their Debian package equivalents) the Nautilus binaries run out of the box: no compiling necessary.

I have mixed views on the interface as it stands now: it seems to lack some of the "snap" that's needed in a file manager: GNOME's dual-paned "gmc" gives me a greater sense of control when shifting files around. But the handling of MIME types is lovely, especially the "View as Music" facility. (Incidentally, I've got Radio Userland to run on WINE, but Winamp breaks.)

The theming in Nautilus is more tasteful than many Linux efforts. That said, I'm always wary of the capacity of "another snarky background" to bloat apps: theming is the best way to sacrifice function to form. You could do worse than look at the BeOS for an example of a GUI that combines WIMP and command-line effectively...