Jeff Bezos wants my help?. To patent more stuff?

Author:marekj

Jeff Bezos likes me. He sent me a personal letter. He wants my help.

I replied: Thanks Jeff. I would like to help you but I just might give you some great idea that you will patent and then I will not be able to use that idea anywhere else

Tab navigations are a lot of fun. I have been playing with creating some designs that would help people understand how to navigate in a website.

What I am afraid now is that I came up with this great idea (which I am giving away for free right here. *I hope you read this Jeff*) what Donald Norman calls Affordances (read it. it's fascinating) and Natural Mappings in "Design Of Everyday Things". (no. I will not link to this book on amazon)

I talked to some first time web users and found out that the hardest thing for them to do is to know where they are and where to go from there. so I designed mywebfolders.com based on tabs in manila folders with different colors... There is a natural mapping for them. they know what folder they are in because of the color and they know what other folders are available to open...O well you know what I am talking about....right?

(here is a shameless plug but don't worry the site is not operational yet so if you visit I won't even know. It's a staging area for some ideas so go visit it it's called mywebfolders.com

Anyway , my point is that Jeff is now going to be this hero because he HAS TABS and he invented the greatest web navigation system on the web with tabs with different colors and he is going to apply for patent on that thing and we end up with the shits... Jeff... Bad boy, bad boy. Why the hell did you send this email asking for help. You have a whole army of webgeeks to ask this question.

My imaginary Jeff's response would be like this.

Free publicity Marek. All the major business magazines are going to praise us that we are the only customer service obsessed ecommerce company. They will say 'look at jeff he is so humble , he wants to engage his coustomers in *the conversation* . He read "clutrain manifesto". He is up on things. Let's all praise him and his company

and so on and on.....

Pardon me but I have to go and do some puking....

marekj