Re: DeCSS decision

Author:Eric Kidd
Posted:8/18/2000; 8:40:21 PM
Topic:DeCSS decision

Does anyone know the basis for his ruling out the use of DeCSS for non-infringing purposes? Wasn't that demonstrated at the trial? Didn't this argument get raised by the defendants?

The defendents did point this out (quite often, in fact). The judge didn't seem to pay much attention. I really don't understand what happened in that court room.

By the way, is there a DVD player for Linux that demonstrates this fair non-infringing use based on the DeCSS code? That would make the argument that much stronger, wouldn't it?

You can find a Linux DVD player on the LiViD website:

http://www.linuxvideo.org/

As far as I can tell, DeCSS was actually written as a donation to this project. And some of the LiViD developers appear to be defendents in the lawsuit itself.

Cheers,
Eric