Re: Another key question

Author:Mark A. Hershberger
Posted:8/23/2000; 5:18:10 PM
Topic:Another key question

"Open Source" was only recently coined by esr. He did that to get away from the baggage of "Free Software".

It is interesting to note, I think, that both "Free Software" and "Open Source" are distinct from "Public Domain" software. At least, rms and esr both talk about their coined terms as if they are. Perhaps I'm wrong about that?

btw, Dave, earlier you had said that the open source movement was trying to take the high moral ground and I said that I thought they had made an effort to be simply pragmatic. Well, I just looked at their site and you're right: the heading "Open Source: Software Gets Honest" sure does seem like a moral position.

Mark.