Re: Making money

Author:Aaron Swartz
Posted:8/23/2000; 5:55:16 PM
Topic:Next survey: Are you an open source developer?

But it is not ethical to release the code in a discriminatory way -- under a license whose purpose and effect is to hurt people. If you release the source to the world, it should be freely available for anyone to use for any purpose. In this way, your release of the code achieves the greatest possible benefit.

I have to disagree. The code achieves the greatest possible benefit under the GPL. The goal of the GPL is not to hurt people -- just the oppposite, it is to help. If I release my software to the world, I want people to always be able to use it. I want people to add to it and improve it, and I want people to be able to use those additions and improvements too.

I don't do it because I like being mean, or I like to destroy proprietary software companies. No, I do it because I want to help people with my software and this is the best way to do it.

I just want to help people, why do you think this is so evil?