Footnote: Ars Digita

Author:Eric Kidd
Posted:8/23/2000; 8:30:12 PM
Topic:Next survey: Are you an open source developer?

As for Ars Digita: I am not familiar with the company's operations. However, if they work on GPLed code, they cannot have a sustainable business because anyone can sell copies of it for less or even give it away for free.

A footnote for the audience:

Ars Digita is a consulting company. They have an open source toolkit, which they use to implement custom software for businesses.

Rumor says they're making money hand over fist.

But this doesn't necessarily affect Brett's argument, either. Ars Digita doesn't make their money off of software in boxes, and they don't make it off of $5,000 support contracts (the way Cygnus did). Ars Digita makes their money off of custom-built, in-house software projects for major coporate customers.

For somebody like me, this is a great business model. I get to work directly with my clients, and every project is different. (I'm a people person with a short attention span.)

Of course, if you work with the wrong clients, this business model can quickly become a major pain in the neck.

Cheers,
Eric