Re: The GPL is not open source.

Author:AmitC
Posted:8/24/2000; 7:27:27 AM
Topic:Next survey: Are you an open source developer?

Well, it is open source. On the other hand it is very restricted. -You get the source. -Incase you are the first person to release the software, it ensure that you get the future release as a user. This is very good. -Incase you are someone who modified a GPL'ed software, you get to thank the author for his work by making your changes available to all. This is good and binding. I suppose the binding is restrictive.

I am a Open Source developer, I have modified and released software which was GPL'ed and hence stayed GPL'ed. Though, I prefer the freedom of BSD and similar licenses, at the expense of possible forking.

Amit