A No-Outage License

Author:Eric Kidd
Posted:8/25/2000; 1:18:18 AM
Topic:A softer GPL?

Design an open source agreement that's fair to all.

I'm going to propose an agreement. No recitals, no politics, and no restrictions.

If this is unfair to somebody, please tell me who, and why. Thank you!

Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:

Preserve the copyright. There's no warranty. Don't use my name to advertise your products.

For what it's worth, this agreement is "legally compatible" with the GPL. You could, for example, contribute code to the Linux kernel using this agreement.

Does this license cause outages for anybody?

Cheers,
Eric