Market values don't have to be monetary values

Author:Seth Gordon
Posted:8/28/2000; 7:53:11 AM
Topic:Next survey: Are you an open source developer?

The market value of the GPLed code is zero.
No. (I said something like this myself in something I posted last week, but I've changed my mind.) If people are actually downloading a certain GPLed program, distributing it, and complying with the GPL, then the market value of that program is "compliance with the GPL".

There is nothing in US contract or copyright law stating that anything you license must be licensed for money. I could license my source code to you in exchange for $100, in exchange for your complying with the GPL, in exchange for your signing a non-disclosure agreement, or in exchange for you painting your nose green, walking up to the receptionist at the front office of Microsoft, and shouting "booga-booga-booga".