Fucking Daft

Author:Joshua Allen

OK, this NYT article is the stupidest thing I have ever seen. And I have read some really stooooopid stuff. Here is the summary:

The article has lots of input from failed software companies that have decided to become services companies instead. Wladawsky-Berger of IBM is even quoted in the article, saying something like, "we can't make any money from software so we have to sell services -- we believe that this is the only way to deal with such complex issues in a free market. Please pass a law!!"

Next interesting point: did you know that the word "service" in Microsoft's "software as a service", and "service" in the sense of services that VA Linux, Sun, and IBM hope to sell are the same thing?!? No, I didn't either. Trust a NYT reporter to miss a live-or-die distinction like that. Fucking daft.

The times notes: "Developers typically join open-source projects or the challenge of solving interesting software problems and the resulting recognition of their peers"

Are we really that cheap??