Re: Nice people with problems and money

Author:Brett Glass

s there no value in what one learns from a book checked out from a public library? I'd say there is - the value of time. The time that would have been spent (wasted) researching in the dark.

If your time's worth $100/hour and reading someone else's code saves you 10 hours of research, the value to you is $1000. The value to me may be even more - I may have saved 40 hours of research (maybe I'm a slower researcher than you).

Fortunately, the public library is enlightened enough not to demand that you give it the fruits of your labor -- all of them -- because it saved you a bit of time. Some people seem to believe that programmers who use open source should do that, even if it means they go broke.

--Brett