Re: The FSF is predatory and is not a charity

Author:Seth Gordon
Posted:8/29/2000; 8:50:24 AM
Topic:Next survey: Are you an open source developer?

Destroying choice is as bad as -- no, worse than -- being able to raise prices, and is equally actionable under antitrust law.
Let me see if we can narrow down the subject of dispute:

If the FSF could achieve a long-term financial benefit from the way it distributes GCC, I agree that you'd have a predatory-pricing case against it. However, it doesn't have such a benefit. You claim that they are engaged in predation because of the long-term ideological benefit -- that is, the possible elimination of non-open-source C compilers from the market.

If you think the FSF's behavior is immoral, that's your right, and I won't dispute it. But what grounds do you have for saying that the FSF is acting illegally? What companies in a situation similar to the FSF's, where their allegedly-predatory behavior could not bring them any long-term financial gain, have lost antitrust suits?