herd (not to be confused with GNU/Hurd) behavior

Author:Seth Gordon

And I am against dividing software developers along arbitrary lines. I hate this the most. I think Linux and the Mac and even Windows have the most to gain by connecting to each other.
I agree with this sentiment, but I fear that attitudes like this will always be with us. In the short term, it's easier to join a herd than to think. In the long run, one becomes dissatisfied with the constraints of the herd, and one starts thinking -- or runs off to another herd.

If you unite Mac, Windows, and Linux users around SOAP, don't be surprised when you see silly flamewars between SOAP zealots and CORBA zealots. (Or is that already happening?)