Re: Nice people with problems and money

Author:Andrew Duncan

I didn't say worthless, I said "close to zero." No doubt there is some value there in the sense you describe.

But if you are a running a for-profit company, support for the code is a valuable consideration. The library metaphor is a useful one, and I would think most companies would by the book if the code it described was valuable to it.

Take The TeXbook and TeX: The Program for example; the program is free, but the books have sold a bazillion copies (I own em both) because they are worth having if you use the software in a for-profit setting.

It's probably worth pointing out that publishing the books at least partially relieves Prof. Knuth of supporting the software directly, by answering email questions about it for example.