Re: My Rant.

Author:John Jensen

So really my long-winded reply is meant to say that if you are giving source away for free, you may not be working on the truly challenging problems. Solving problems with software is easy (sort-of). The really hard part is the making the problems relevant and the solutions impactful. Software's power extends way beyond the initial act of writing the code, and unleashing that power is the most exiting challenge of all.

I think you are assuming a lot about the projects I might choose. I've actually been through this a bit already. My last project, founded upon what I found technically interesting, found some users and even gathered contributions from other developers before it ran its course. I'd hope to use what I learned there, and elsewhere, on any future project.

John