Re: The Lie of "IP"

Author:Jim Stegman
Posted:8/31/2000; 12:36:48 PM
Topic:The Lie of "IP"

How is something, freely given, stealing? If I buy Diablo, and provide you with a copy... those were MY bits. I paid for them, they're MINE. If I chose to give you a copy, they were mine to do so, and to label that as theft is Just Plain Wrong. It's Doublethink.

It depends on the license agreement. When you purchase a product such as Diablo, you have simply purchased the right to USE the bits. They are not yours to give away. The license agreement on the package spells out the terms. If you don't agree to them, then morally you should not purchase the product. If in fact you do not abide by the terms, then lawfully you are liable.

Certainly there are people who feel otherwise. But there are others like myself who think it is only fair to abide by any agreement we have made, even if it is an implied agreement. I'm not trying to put myself on a pedestal, but I just want you to know that there are people who follow the rules.

Even the GPL does not give you ownership of the bits (source code). You cannot do whatever you want with them!!!