Re: Mac OS X and Frontier

Author:Ralph Hempel
Posted:8/31/2000; 5:38:19 PM
Topic:Mac OS X and Frontier

I know that Manila is Frontier and it's a killer app - as Manila. If you step back from Frontier as a user then Manila is a great tool for getting a daily weblog-type site up and running. We all know it's a killer app, but you're preaching to the converted.

Now, what I'm talking about is further niching it for educators, real-estate agents and other professionals that are unable or unwilling to lift the hood and tinker.

Frontier is great for most of the readers of Userland because they probably do this stuff for a living. But that's a very small percentage of users out there. They want an application tailor made for them.

It's hard to find all of the niches when you're busy grinding out code and testing your excellent product. Let users like us find the niches, tailor Frontier to that specific market, and then let us point the customers to you for the licence key - and give us a bit of the revenue.

The original point of the thread was to find ways to pitch Frontier to Apple. I think it's hard to "get" what Frontier does unless you see an application in your exact field. These "cloud apps" are hard to get your arms around. That's why I'm suggesting a pitch of 4 or 5 perfect little apps, than you reveal the fact that a single master app - Frontier - is the real product.

Cheers, Ralph Hempel P.Eng.