Re: Mac OS X and Frontier

Author:Ralph Hempel
Posted:8/31/2000; 7:01:52 PM
Topic:Mac OS X and Frontier

Hmmm. I meant that your regular readers are the converted. We know that Frontier is a good thing and that everyone else needs to figure out what it does. I guess that its operation is so obvious that it is too subtle for some folks. When I've shown people how easy it is to create content using Manila, some of them actually don't understand what they have done.

When you show a teacher that can't attach a JPG to an email without an explicit list of instructions, and then walk that same person through posting the current day's assignment on a Manila site and having it available to their students, they sometimes don't "get" that they have published to the web. It's hard to believe, but it's true!

But I get your point of view too. If you can keep the focus on Manila as a tool for creating content for websites through a regular browser, then that's great. I guess that my own experience with some users makes me wary of where the conversation can go with regards to scripting.

We all have to remember that there is a vast number of people out there that have acess to the Internet and email and that have something to say. It's like having a Porsche in the driveway and not being able to drive a standard - lotsa potential for exciting things, if only you knew how to use it.

Cheers, Ralph Hempel P.Eng.