Re: It's even worse than it appears

Author:Chris Hanson

No, other UserLand software that includes UserLand's Applet Toolkit doesn't have to be GPLd. That's because you're the creator of both and can do pretty much anything you want with them.

However, if someone makes changes to the Applet Toolkit, you can't incorporate these changes into your other products unless those products are also licensed under the GPL or the author of the changes grants you a specific license to do so.

Also, this clause means that if I write a piece of software that links with the Applet Toolkit, my software must be made available under the GPL.

This is the reason the LGPL exists. Rather than making the Applet Toolkit available under GPL, a vendor could make it available under LGPL. That way any modifications to the toolkit itself would also be covered under the LGPL, but if an application dynamically links against the Toolkit it doesn't have to be licensed under the LGPL.