Re: Mac OS X and Frontier

Author:Jim Stegman
Posted:9/1/2000; 7:42:09 AM
Topic:Mac OS X and Frontier

What's the URL of your ISP?

Our main web server (not Manila) is www.eos.net

Our Manila server is still beta, in that we haven't completely fleshed out the business side of things. Also, we want to have a few good examples to show people, with some nice variety. i could use some of the exception example on www.EditThisPage.com, but I'd like to have some local sites, that have more of a Midwest feel to them.

One of my weblogs, for the local Ulster Project, is an example.

Here's another.

What we will do is offer a free weblog to all dialup subscribers. But there will be people who want two, or three. And there will be people who don't have an account, but still want a weblog. So how do we accomodate them? Maybe give anyone a free weblog? Your How to Make Money on the Internet DaveNet piece was very good, but my conservative nature doesn't like to take risks. ;-)

But as I noted before, we've got a bit of a track record for doing things for nothing, just because we think we should. It does eventually pay off. When you're not doing something for money, but because you believe in it, your credibility with people goes through the roof.

Like you, we're also not "salesman" types, which seems to win points with some people. ;-)

One suggestion...

You might consider offering an intensive course/conference in the administration side of Frontier/Manila. You could model it something like MacHack, with a contest for the coolest script, weblog, or whatever. Give away an old, but coveted, cowboy hat or cow skull. Hold it in Cody Wyoming, San Antonio Texas or someplace similar. You could have a bunch of fun with it. Then you could build an army of people who could sell, install, & administer Frontier.