Re: TBL

Author:Dave Winer

Thanks David.

O'Reilly has tried to put an embargo on strong opinion, at this point, the embargo isn't working. I've had to use all my oratory power just to be heard over the din of the smears. Think about it this way, how many times has this happened before? How many times has work been dispossessed when the person whose work was being taken wasn't as stubborn as me, or capable of expressing himself, and putting up with noise. Believe me, the number of minds who want to engage with me on a personal level is at an all-time high. The more they squeal about me, the more I know we're approaching a sensitive subject.

The outcome I wanted is simple understanding of what happened. Our future actions re openness are being influenced by this. If we have a record of what happened, without the confusing personal stuff, I will be able to explain why the servicelist of my next net app will not be open.

If I have to go through this kind of struggle just to be heard, I'm not interested in sharing the fruits of what I create. But the really shitty thing about it is that our servicelist fed a lot of really good stuff that never tried to cut us out of the loop. Like the Headline Viewer formerly known as Carmen's.

There you have the A-B. If I'm open, a few or more flowers may bloom, but I also open the door for being routed around.

David Brown who has been listening characterized what I'm saying as:

"You just want to be able to finish a thought."

That's it.

PS: The back end of My.UserLand is documented here.