Re: Guido and Richard

Author:Walter Ludwick
Posted:9/8/2000; 7:27:28 AM
Topic:Guido and Richard

Ken, you are right. In fact when i discovered Zope just over 6 mo's ago, and was thinking "this is too good to be true!," i e-mailed RMS to inquire about the ZPL, and any hidden "gotchas" that might restrict my freedom with it. He wrote me back with a positive endorsement , saying in effect, "This software is indeed Free. The ZPL is not compatible with the GPL -- but since that doesn't seem to matter to you, that's fine."

But please explain, cuz this OSS licensing stuff is still hazy to me: are you saying that this "fork" in the Py license - which will surely be accompanied by a code-fork - is, unless hung-up by some deep technicality, a legally legitimate thing, at least on the surface of it? Like the Emacs/ Xemacs fork?

I guess if that Py license/code fork comes to pass, there'll be no need for any UserLand poll to see which way the wind blows, and briskly! ;-) |/|/