Re: GPL compatibility

Author:Eric Kidd
Posted:9/8/2000; 7:16:14 PM
Topic:Guido and Richard

I don't understand why they don't just release the source code and say "Have Fun!"

Because, as you pointed out today, lawyers rule the world.

As for having fun: This is what Guido is trying to do, more or less. He wants to play nicely with everyone: commerical developers, proprietary developers, GPL'd developers, and so forth.

But he can't do this, because his former employer owns huge chunks of Python, and told him he had to use a long, messy license.

I'm going to rewrite my piece until it makes slightly more sense. ;-)

Cheers,
Eric