Re: Mac guys do it at runtime

Author:Rahul
Posted:9/8/2000; 9:48:02 PM
Topic:Guido and Richard

I'm curios how OSA works? Is it like COM on windows? COM allows use of components in perl from python, or vbscript, etc. DOTNET allows even inheriting a VB class from python. Its not scriting only though..is OSA like that?

But these are windows only.

The mozilla project has written a cross platform COM like thingy called XPCOM( cross platform COM). There are c++ and javascript bindings presently. Sun is writing java bindings, and activestate perl and python(first server, then client).

At http://www.egroups.com/message/decentralization/237 I proposed using XPCOM in a p2p system. But this discussion makes me want to ask, isnt this a nice cross platform scripting solution, available on linux, mac , windows, all other unix, beos, etc...

The GPL is silent on dll's btw. Thats why the linux kernel allows you to load in proprietary modules for drivers, though Linus discourages it for compatibility reasons...