Re: pd in strict legal sense

Author:David McCusker
Posted:9/10/2000; 4:02:24 PM
Topic:Guido and Richard

Eric Kidd: Do you mean "public domain" in the strict legal sense, or "public domain" in the practical sense?

That's a great question. I meant the strict legal sense of no copyright. But I'm quite interested in the difference between the strict and practical senses, and this bears upon my license design.

I wish public domain meant that no copyright could be applied since none is present, but it doesn't mean that. Bizarrely, anyone can slap on a copyright when one is missing. So the only way to get code that cannot be copyrighted is to have some copyright present, with license terms that aim to do nothing except enforce this situation.