Re: disclaiming warranties

Author:David McCusker
Posted:9/10/2000; 6:20:17 PM
Topic:Guido and Richard

Eric Kidd: The case law for software liability is extremely murky, and nobody really knows how to disclaim all warranties on a piece of software.

I've been trying a new tack by using fewer words. I'm effectively writing for a judge who will decide whether a person would have to be an idiot to misinterpret the intention. My code contains the following line in the file headers.

SUPPORT: No warranties, no guarantees, no promises, and no remedies.

I realize this does not contain the normal obfuscating qualifications one is used to seeing in this context. But I'd love to see a judge ask someone which part of this did they not understand?