Re: Control of distribution

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:9/11/2000; 6:49:36 AM
Topic:Discuss by email?

This isn't the only venue where I have contact with Aaron and Ken. I resigned from a mail list where people were taking personal shots at me (not Aaron or Ken), and the conversation wouldn't get off that, so I split. I see this "development" as part of that thread, if they can't get me over there, they'll dominate the conversation here. It's a power thing. The kind of struggle you should have with your father, not a stranger.

My pov on Napster is pretty complex. As a creative person, I see it from the pov of the artists. But I am also a user of music, and I see it from that pov as well. I think artists should be paid for their work. And I think that users should be able to control how they use the music they've paid for. I see the changes in the music industry as a consequence of the "softwareness" of music. It changed. The music industry didn't respond. The users eventually take control. You have to deal with that.

Ken and Aaron are doing something else. They are not my friends. If they were, I'd be singing their praises and thanking them for adding value to my community. BTW, when I take a holiday this DG really empties out. That should give you a clue about what's going on here.

(Of course the people who use me in place of their father will "prove" I'm wrong the next time I take a breather. It's so tiring, there's so much unloved-child energy on the Internet.)