Re: Music and software

Author:Dan Mitchell
Posted:9/12/2000; 10:42:43 AM
Topic:Music and software

You've tapped into a very interesting concept - one with which I agree with in a sense, and disagree with in another.

For quite awhile I've felt that the creation of software is very similar to some types of composing. (In fact, composers often make decent programmers, or at least _understand_ programming better than many non-programmers.) Both types of people (programmers and composers) keep low level details in their heads while envisioning their place in much larger structures, structures which often contain many complex layers. Often the "stuff" of both media is so complex that you just have to sort of "get it" in a non-verbal, intuitive way... and then work away at it to make it real.

Additionally, I think that both programs and compositions can embody the "mind" of their creators in the sense that they reflect their thought processes and world-views, even after the composers/programmers have moved on.

What you say about music "behaving like software" is true to an extent in the world of recorded music - which is the way that most people experience most of their music today, at least in the cultures that you and I live in.

However, I think that music is an even more mysterious thing than software. Have you ever wondered "what IS Beethoven's 9th symphony?" Is it the notation? Is it your favorite recorded performance? Is it the sum of all the performances that have ever existed? Is it MY experience of all of the performances that I have ever experienced? Is MY "Beethoven's 9th" the same as YOUR Beethoven's 9th? I like to ask my students to think about the answer to this question: Where is Beethoven's 9th? (Or whatever other piece you want to use.)

I agree with you that "it's not mutually exclusive" and that "software can... be expression, art and revolution." But, despite the points of contact, there are still some significant differences.

I guess you are both right.

Take care.

Dan