Re: Music and software

Author:Dan Mitchell
Posted:9/12/2000; 1:08:23 PM
Topic:Music and software

What IS Frontier? Is it a notation? Is it my favorite personal discovery (aha!) with it? Is it the sum of all those discoveries? Is my Frontier the same as yours? Where is Frontier?

;-)

And the difference is ..... ?

;-)

We probably don't want to go down this road too far but I think there is a big difference - and I don't mean to diminish the creativity of software development or of Frontier at all.

However... your Frontier is the same as mine - assuming that we both have our copies set to automatically update every night. ;-)

If you and I sit at our computers and create something the same way in Frontier it will (we hope!) produce the same result... exactly.

However, if two people (or even the same person on two different nights!) read the same sheet of music the result will definitely not be the same. Of course, this is something that is not necessarily apparent to folks who experience only the _playback_ of music, and not the _performance_ of music.

If anything, I think that software is probably more like a novel or perhaps a movie in this regard.

Take care.

Dan