Re: It's p-to-p plus applications, stupid

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:9/12/2000; 4:56:12 PM
Topic:It's p-to-p plus applications, stupid

Yup back to basics. We sell software. The old-fashioned way. To users.

It's the only business model that works. It's interesting to watch the VCs try to parse this searching around for money and not finding any place to invest.

Chuck D complained about the VCs too. He's got the business model that works for music. Create music and charge for it. Basic business 101. That the VCs wouldn't invest in a brilliant man like him is confirmation that I'm on the right track.

We stop right exactly at the point where the music industry must pick up. You tell us how to get music onto a user's hard drive. We work with what's there. You tell us how to flow money from the user's bank account to yours.

Like Napster, in a sane world, we charge for software and service. If someone else offers it for free, remember that you get what you pay for and there's no such thing as a free lunch. (Unless the world is in a delerious pyramid scheme mode.)