Re: Broadband Apps (was Re: Bandwidth Being Solved?)

Author:Eric Soroos
Posted:9/13/2000; 1:20:40 PM
Topic:It's p-to-p plus applications, stupid

So what are the general elements of this story?

Always on. Period. My computers are always on (or are asleep), and are always connected. That is the most incredible feeling. Even more telling, get used to it, then try going without it for a while.

1. DSL/cable. Accept nothing less. Speed is the ultimate enabling technology.

Speed is like engines, too much is never enough. 1.5mbit downstream is adequate for all but video. (150k/sec on sustained transfers) 384k upstream is tolerable for my use. (Mainly communication with work and streaming mp3's to myself)

2. The gateway.

Linux box. 586 clone, ages old. It has a hd but doesn't need it (I was using it as an ftp site for a while). Has uptime much better than my dsl connection (270 days by now).

Gateways are also important for the number of computers that you can squirrel behind them. Everyone in the family must be able to hit the net at the same time or there will be .... issues.

But then on all of this, I'm a bandwidth snob/hog. I'm probably in the top 1% of connected people, and paying prices for it in expertise and $$ that the vast majority of people just aren't ready for.

eric

ps currently playing : Jimi Hendrix, Day Tripper. well, now Catfish Blues, but that's just cause I'm typing slowly.

(linux /apache - linux gateway - dsl - cloud - dsl - mac / RU - soundjam - sennheiser headphones.