Re: Venues for personality issues

Author:John Callender
Posted:9/14/2000; 10:36:37 AM
Topic:Venues for personality issues

As the person who wrote this particular deleted message, I think it would be helpful (for me, if for no one else) if you would offer a more specific set of guidelines on just what sorts of statements are and are not acceptable under the policy. In the absence of more clearcut guidelines, it's hard for a participant to know where you will draw the line. It smacks of "a message is unacceptable if Dave Winer says so," which could lead to suspicions of unfair application based on your subjective reactions to messages that are critical, as opposed to supportive, of your own position.

I'm not saying that you are doing that here. I'm just saying that deletion of messages that are critical, in the absence of a more-clearly articulated policy of the grounds on which they were deleted, will tend to create that suspicion. A more detailed set of guidelines than the one currently given on your flame-resistance policy page would help avoid that perception.

Thanks.

John