Re: metaphors (Anti-Microsoft sentiment)

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:9/16/2000; 9:27:00 PM
Topic:Debunking the OSS Bazaar?

OK, I think it was stupid for Microsoft to target Netscape, but that's not the only issue. Microsoft was also stupid to focus their attention on Netscape when there was something much bigger on the table that Microsoft and Netscape ignored -- the HTML developers who were caught in the crossfire.

I wonder if this point has ever penetrated the Microsoft defensive system. You guys broke your cardinal rule, developers come first. First with the HTML developers, then when Sun/Netscape made the mistake of trying to convert HTML developers to Java, the Java developers.

You guys *created* the "open source movement". What else could they do but organize in their hatred of Microsoft. I understand it. You guys did us a disservice, the commercial developers, and you did a bigger disservice to your own mission, imho.