Re: Anti-Microsoft sentiment

Author:Todd Blanchard
Posted:9/17/2000; 6:21:08 PM
Topic:Debunking the OSS Bazaar?

I guess the only one I am really surprised at is the "permeating the media" part. I certainly didn't see the media as being favorable to Microsof

There are a number of "technical" magazines targeted at IT managers that do nothing but print MS press releases and even trash their competition for them (or conspicuously ignore them).

I think MS has a clear record of lying in public - to their competitors, to their customers, and (most despicably) to their business partners. Its been said that partnering with MS makes as much sense as a cow partnering with McDonalds. The result is generally the same.

David's other points are good - I think the one that bugs their customers the most is the planned obsolesence. MS intentionally changes file formats often to force people to upgrade just to maintain access to their data. Not only that, I think most customers think the products have been going down hill. They get more complicated every release. With the introduction of the office assistant, the products get downright condescending. Its like trying to build a house with a little kid running around moving the tools and interrupting you constantly. Thats not respectful, its not helpful, its just plain rude and it makes us feel like we're cattle with no control. Simplify the products and make them more passive. At home, I still use Clarisworks 2.0 circa 1990 and I have to say it does everything I know how to do with MS Office better and in about a megabyte. Consider that if you want to sell me a product. Stop treating me like I'm stupid.

There is currently one product MS has shipped that I have to give praise for - its MSIE 5 for the Macintosh. It looks good, its simple to use, and it works fine. Don't add anything to it other than support for XHTML and I think we'll stay very happy with it.