Re: Asking Tim

Author:Erin Clerico
Posted:9/19/2000; 5:39:22 PM
Topic:Asking Tim

I'm just making a simple connect -

A) There is a vendor who is currently shipping a very unique, forward P2P product. Not someone promoting a theory, this is someone who is shipping an actual product.

B) There is a promoter who puts together a 'summit' of industry luminaries to discuss this important trend, but leaves out a pioneering vendor (see A) whom he has butted heads with in the past. Draw your own conclusion, but to me It would appear, absent a response from Tim, that he left this vendor out because he personally does not like him.

I have tried to find a good place to Ask Tim if this was because of his personal feelings for Dave, or perhaps he is not aware that Dave is shipping a P2P product currently.

(BTW, don't try to communicate with Tim at his Manila weblog, http://tim.oreillynet.com/, despite the fact that he has a Discuss link on his site, and at the bottom of his News Items, you can't post into his DG by joining as a member, it must be closed to editors only. Perhaps he would get more reads if there were some diversity of opinions at hand to ponder...)

We all know this is how the world works; play ball with the good ol'e boys and maybe they will let you pitch once in a while, smoke filled back rooms etc... This does not mean we shouldn't call 'bullshit' when we see it happen in the open.

If, indeed, Dave was excluded because of Tim's personal feelings, we will need to factor this in when assigning value to the opinions and issues that come from events promoted by Tim O'Reilly.

Now, in all fairness to Tim, we have not heard from him yet, maybe there was a really good reason for this. I'll let you know if my Ask Tim question gets any response.

-Erin