Re: P2P? (User Interface, Java Web Start)

Author:Erik L. Neu
Posted:9/20/2000; 8:04:07 AM
Topic:What is P2P?

Today's DaveNet was a beautiful piece of writing. When I first started reading it, I didn't care for what seemed like a hokey introduction worthy of Jesse Berst. However, as I read on, somehow it worked.

>>As I browse the Web on my 933 Mhz PC, the graph on the Performance Monitor barely blips. My 70 gigabyte hard drive has tons of free space. How to use all that power? User interface. Bring back lost concepts of the 80s, things like pull-down menus, cursors, mouse-tracking.>>

Great thought. I am continually amazed that people seem to think that HTML provides an acceptable user interface. It is nice when you have nothing better, but only in the same way that a compact spare tire is nice: you can't go very fast, you don't want to use it for long, and it wears out easily.

I for one am intrigued by Java Web Start. I don't have enough experience to comment on the execution or deep technical details, but the concept, at least, seems extremely promising. You would get most of the benefits of the thin-client, without relying on the browser to provide them, but also have most of the benefits of a native application.