Re: experience (Anti-Microsoft sentiment)

Author:Joshua Allen
Posted:9/21/2000; 2:05:08 PM
Topic:Debunking the OSS Bazaar?

Agree entirely with your post. Wanted to respond to:

If older folks got really strange, it might be hard to detect this. Any sufficiently flexible person might be labeled as a simple anarchist if they defy easy categorization. (I like to play with other folks' taxonomies, the way some boys might like to pull the wings from flies. :-)

Yeah, not all people amplify their various characteristics as they get older. Speaking of "really strange", have you noticed that people sometimes become charicatures (sp?) of themselves as they get older? While kids often want to look opposite their parents but exactly like one another, it's fairly common to see elderly people with some really unique personality traits that are exaggerated way beyond reason. I always figured that some people eventually succumb to the temptation to stop looking for disruptive experience.

Also, I find your description of the sufficiently flexible person defying characterization to be delightful! They exaggerate themselves to the point that you cannot tell they are exaggerated ... Hmm, that one hurts my brain!