Re: anti flame capsule

Author:Joshua Allen
Posted:9/25/2000; 10:56:06 PM
Topic:anti flame capsule

would take the stab that the language is shrinking in usage because people find value in vagueness. Yo, Dawg, know what I'm sayin'

I would point out that hip-hop/street language is one of the more diverse and evolving segments of our language. I would agree that the precision in street language is more "slushy" than French as defined by the French academy, but the language is definitely not _shrinking_ in this area. Of course the obvious examples are extra words for things like "gun" and "money", but there are also many delightful and appropriate phrases representing concepts that don't have expression in normal white-bread culture -- "big pimpin'", "flossin", "snatchin' cabbage."

Politicians and the politically correct find value in vagueness, however. George Orwell's essay "Politics and the English Language" discusses this. This relates to my earlier rant about labels ("Pro Life" and "Pro Choice" are both a bit irresponsibly appelled)

As for general population finding value in vagueness, you may be right -- I cannot fathom why people would value this (beyond laziness, maybe?), but you seem to be right. The whole point of a good vocabulary is that it allows you to communicate more effectively, using less words. Ability to express a great deal of meaning in a short sentence is a hallmark of a well-designed vocabulary (and for its domain, I think street-language does rather well). Generally used language in middle-class America is shrinking, though, and I am alarmed. Maybe people don't have big thoughts to express anymore?