Re: Grateful Dead fights music pirates

Author:Jonathan Hendry

They want you to give away the copies for free, without making profit of any sort. They don't want money involved if their music is involved - they apparently don't even want people charging for the cost of a *tape*.

From the article:

'the Dead declared that "no commercial gain may be sought by Web sites offering digital files of our music, whether through advertising, exploiting databases compiled from their traffic, or any other means." '

'"We have never ever allowed anyone to sell a tape of a concert--not even for the price of just the tape itself," Doney said.'

Presumably, this even includes Napster employees drawing a salary from VC funds.

This is quite a bit broader than merely not allowing *sales* of copies of their music. Also, they don't want fans trading their studio recordings *at all*. The sharing only applies to their live shows. (I don't know if fans are allowed to trade recordings that were made by the Dead, or if they're only allowed to trade recordings made by fans.)