Re: Speaking Up About The DG

Author:Jeremy Bowers
Posted:9/29/2000; 8:13:18 AM
Topic:Speaking Up About The DG

There's also something like this page: http://www.msu.edu/~bowersj2/linkback/ScriptingNews.html . (A little unfortunate that there are no links in the system right now; array has a good set from the recent Behind The Curtain thing.) I've also been working on having the system automatically update Manila sites, as it does on iRights right now in the right-hand box called "Sites Recently Linking To Me".

Wanna comment on Scripting News, just join the comment group(s) Scripting News is a part of. (I envision there being several groups, and I also envision all of them entering websites by request only; this just doens't help any if 20 companies start providing this service and they all add Scripting News without asking permission.)

I'm not necessarily pushing my current service; unfortunately it's sitting behind an atrociously bad network connection courtesy of @Home (though the system is getting more bullet-proof with every revision, and there's only one major network-based flaw in it left). But the concept itself might be useful... perhaps Manila sites could host a place in the cloud where it would accept published links to it (with some context and some timeout factor) from group members (centrally controlled, controlled on a per-site basis, or open access, as the site sees fit), and then manage the link timeout and verification issues (Did the person really link to me, or just claim to? Is this the 100th link in an hour [spam attack]? etc.).

Discussion happens, it's not on Scripting News, and there's simply no need for a discussion group, as the web becomes one big self-organizing group.

(The other major feature to retain is the browsing feature, represented by the little LinkBack Icon icons, which allow you to jump to the linking 'blog's linked-to page, which allows for conversation browser.)

Dave can still highlight the ones he likes best (for whatever reason), or ignore everybody as he sees fit.

Best of all, it works equally for everyone.

Perhaps when Userland swings back to Manila this might be an interesting direction to go.