Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Peppier

Author:dfeldt@adeptsys.com
Posted:10/7/1998; 2:38:41 PM
Topic:Suggestion: Explore the Calendar

A few brief thoughts on the Samizdats variants vs Frontier discussion group proof of principle debate.

Dynamic rendering is inherent and necessary in real time interactive sytems like threaded discussion applications. It seems like a big deal to those used to static HTML pages, but not to those who are used to building transaction responses on the fly, hence the emphasis.

I think that the 2 week vs 2 day comparison to build a Frontier BBS is valid (almost an order of magnitude improvement) independent of comparisons to other development environments and tools.

"Wide eyed gushing" seems an unfair characterization of Dave Winer's comments, but would still be perhaps appropriate given the medium. These things being served are web pages, not text only things (images, sound, hyperlinks and other good stuff are all waiting in the wings).

Perhaps some folks are overlooking the value of the Frontier product. A web server with scripting features, built in persistence, a rich developer community, libraries of existing tested solutions, etc. is not quite the same thing as individual integration of Apache, PERL, and mySQL (stuff from three different vendors/communities not always used together, making many of the excellent offerings for each less immediately useful without additional effort). There are strengths and weaknesses in each tool set, but getting it all from one source/community offers significant advantages over integrating your own toolset IMO.

I agree that the current implementation of Frontier discussion group is less than overwhelmingly impressive, but the potential is very, very exciting. Dave Winer says he will shortly make the thing available to the Frontier community, as he has with a ton of other useful stuff in the past. I think that what the rest of us (Dave included) will do with it once we get going will be very impressive.