Outrageous demands

Author:Dan Lyke
Posted:11/11/1998; 12:50:09 PM
Topic:First message

No glitches so far. I realize that I'm just reiterating the requests made elsewhere, but some simple[*] user feedback:

First, a link to the discussion group root from the Scripting News pages, maybe up there next to the "Home Archives Directory ..." links. Checking the discussion server is a natural sequel to checking http://www.scripting.com/, and bookmarks get cluttered quickly and I'm not likely to remember the URL of the discussion group root off the top of my head.

Likewise, on all message reading pages a link to /discussiongroup.root/ so I don't have to trim the URL manually.

Finally (yes, it ends eventually), and most technically demanding, it seems that when I follow a link from Scripting News to a message it doesn't go check my cookie, and so won't let me follow up 'til I go to the /discussiongroup.root/ and back to the message.

On the other hand, maybe the last one is a good thing, as it enforces a little context on the reader.

[*] Whether the "simple" refers to the user, the feedback, or the severity of the changes requested is left as an exercise for the reader.