Re: Tog's thoughts on linking

Author:Phil Wolff
Posted:11/24/1998; 9:32:42 AM
Topic:Testing a new feature.

There are many different attributes to a link. Just to name a few...

- local to the page, to the local cluster of pages, to the server, to the domain, to the high level domain. (How far from the author's control am I going ?) - human language of the destination - systems language of the destination (What rev of html/xml are needed to see this destination?) - freshness of the destination (when was the destination updated vs. the source page's freshness?) - author's take on relevance to the story compared to other links ("You MUST see this link." "For your convenience." "Barely relevant.") - popularity of this link with other readers of this page ("Most popular link") - viewer's history with this link (have I been there recently? Ever?) - degree of political freedom of the country of origin - security/anonymity provided at destination - offensive content info compared to my personal prefs profile - attractive content info compared to my personal prefs profile - public bonds, certs, and trusts of the destination

Engines for generating all of this information have been built or posited. So design issues for annotation of links become:

- how do we present these many dimensions of information without disrupting the flow of narrative?

- How do we do so in a way that adapts to the priorities of the individual viewer within the context of their current viewing experience? Some attributes may be more important when reading stories about a revolution in Lagos, at Microsoft, or in health care.